December 20, 2006

And at the end of round 1...

As of 3:00 this morning, I have completed my very first semester of my Masters of Divinity. So now, I have a week and a half before it all starts up again. The next few days will be filled with some nice relaxation. Well, the evenings will be, anyway.

Four classes are done: Introduction to the New Testament I and II, Strategic Planning, and Greek Language Tools.

I wish I could tell you that it has been easy thus far, but it really hasn't. No matter how much time I am able to put into school, it feels like I am always behind - readings, lectures, assignments.

Plus, the whole "I'm sorry, I can't go out with you guys because I've got a paper to write/a book to read/a lecture to watch" really gets tiring after a while.

However, markable progress has now been made. The first sign on the road seen. If I move forward with full steam ahead, I have 7 semesters left. Just over two years from completing the degree.

If past years have been any indication, two years from now, I'll be asking "Where has all the time gone?" Although I will say that the past 16 weeks have certainly felt like 16 weeks. I know in the long term, the sacrifices that I make on a daily basis will eventually pay off. It sometimes is just hard to believe it living in the moment. Last week, I really did feel like quitting when it seemed the work that was yet to be completed was insurmountable. But luckily I rebounded quickly.

I have certainly learned a lot. The classes have been interesting thus far. I know they will continue to be in the future. I do wish I could take them in a formal classroom setting, with direct interaction with the professor and fellow students, however, I am happy to settle for what works with my life at this point.

Despite all the stress and sacrifice, all is well. Having the confidence of knowing that you are exactly where you are meant to be in life is truly satisfying. Sometimes when I step back and look at my life, its amazing to see how what I once perceived to be some random event somehow turns out to be the perfect thing.

I am ready for my second semester. But not until I can sleep in on a Sunday, watch more than one football game a week, and 6 hours of sleep will not be classified as a good night. Well, I only have 10 days to live that life. But I sure am going to live it.

No comments: